Error when using special characters within a reg key

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Hello,

I was trying to potentially reset some nasty protected deep rooted registry keys from a printer driver install that went wrong. When using the following command, I am getting an error message though. It appears as if special characters cannot be used. Any idea of how to solve the problem? Also, any way to run this command as user system or in some other fashion to get some of the protected registry keys under Windows Vista out of the way?

C:\>RegSecEdit.exe -u:useruser -p:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\HID\VID_413C&PID_5116&MI_02 -b:Machine -i:0 -a:0 -r:983103

CHANGING REGISTERY ACCESS CONTROL...
ERROR: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
'PID_5116' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'MI_02' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Thank you!

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Meanwhile, I answered my own qustion... this tool is AMAZING! That much credit up front!

In order to resolve the problem with special characters, I simply put double quotes around the key and it worked.

So, the result would be:
C:\>RegSecEdit.exe -u:useruser -p:"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\HID\VID_413C&PID_5116&MI_02" -b:Machine -i:0 -a:0 -r:983103

In order to resolve the access denied issue that followed, I simply used the common workaround on Windows Vista to run the command under the SYSTEM user. Admin folks will know what I am talking about.

Cheers on this great tool! - Thank You!